The Registrar of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, Prof Ishaq Oloyede, has said that the board is targeting 1.8 million candidates to register for the 2023 Uniform Tertiary Matriculation Examinations in the country.
Oloyede who disclosed this in Ilorin, Kwara state while inspecting Computer Based Test centres said “while it is expected that about 1.8 million candidates will register for the examination, only 445,081 have so far registered.”
He added that while the board had made facilities available for the registration of 100, 000 candidates per day, the average number of registration per day at present was 61,000.
Oloyede however said there would be no extension of the February 14 deadline for the ongoing registration for the examination.
Answering questions from journalists, the registrar said the board would never allow the CBT centres to exploit candidates registering for the UTME.
The registrar, during the tour, announced the suspension of a CBT centre named Damdav in Ilorin for using only one camera which makes the registration not save from mix-ups of passports.
Meanwhile, the board has announced that the provision of email addresses is now compulsory for UTME registration.
JAMB made this known in a statement released on Monday by its Head, Public Affairs and Protocol, Dr Fabian Benjamin, adding that no candidate will be registered henceforth, without an email address provided.
The statement partly read, “Furthermore, e-mail provides more flexibility in communication and is a more professional way of reaching out to candidates.
“Candidates are, therefore, advised to get their genuine e-mail addresses before proceeding with UTME registration.
“In addition, candidates are to ensure that their passwords are kept securely, as the board does not retrieve lost email passwords or change email addresses once registered.”