The World Health Organisation, on Tuesday, said the violence that broke out in Sudan on Saturday had claimed 270 lives while about 2,600 people had been injured.
The Director General, WHO, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, said this at a virtual press briefing on Tuesday.
Violence had broken out in Sudan over the weekend between the nation’s two top generals, trapping millions of people.
The Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces have, however, agreed to a 24-hour ceasefire after numerous calls for a halt to the clash.
Ghebreyesus said, “Tragically, three workers from the World Food Programme have also been killed. I condemn all loss of life and we stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Sudan. The heaviest fighting is currently in Khartoum.
“The supplies that the WHO distributed to health facilities, prior to this recent escalation of conflict, are now exhausted. Hospitals in Khartoum receiving injured civilians are reporting shortages of medical personnel and life-saving medical supplies.
“Fuel shortages for hospital generators, as well as water and power cuts are also reportedly affecting the functionality of health facilities.”
The DG also called on “all parties to comply with their obligations under international law” based on “reports that some hospitals are already closed, or on the brink of closure, due to attacks, and a lack of medical personnel and medical supplies.”
The WHO boss also warned that “health care facilities and workers must never be a target, especially in a situation like this where there are thousands of civilians who need access to emergency care.”