Borno bombing death toll hits 32, 14 survivors discharged

Share:

Borno State

The death toll in the Saturday suicide bombing attacks in the Gwoza area of Borno State has hit 32.

While 14 of the victims have been discharged, 26 remain in the hospital receiving treatment.

The Vice President, Kashim Shettima, gave the update on Monday while speaking with journalists after paying a condolence visit to the victims and families of those who lost their lives in the suicide bombings.

The attacks, carried out on Saturday by suspected female suicide bombers, struck a wedding, a hospital, and a funeral in Gwoza, a town near the border with Cameroon.

According to the Borno State Police Command spokesman, Nahum Daso, on Sunday, three blasts took place on Saturday in Gwoza.

Shettima described the incident as pathetic, rehashing the words of the late Dele Giwa saying, “One life lost in cold blood is as gruesome as millions lost in cold blood.”

The Senior Special Assistant to the Vice President on Media and Communications, Mr. Stanley Nkwocha, revealed details of the VP’s visit in a statement titled, ‘VP Shettima in Maiduguri, consoles victims of Gwoza suicide bombings’.

Shettima spoke to journalists immediately after meeting and commiserating with victims of the attack at the State Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri, conveying the condolences of President Bola Tinubu to the Borno State government and the people of Gwoza.

He said, “It was a very pathetic scene. Our hearts go out to the victims. So far, we have recorded 32 deaths; 42 of those injured were brought in from Gwoza and about 14 have been discharged, while about 26 are currently receiving attention.

“I want to use this forum to most sincerely register our profound gratitude to the Borno State government, the National Emergency Management Agency, the State Emergency Management Agency and ICRC for rising to the challenges of the times and giving their best in terms of support.”

The Vice President, who made a personal donation to all the victims of the attacks and condoled with the families of those killed by the multiple explosions, said the heart of the President was with them.

“The heart of President Bola Tinubu is with the victims and he specifically instructed us to come and offer our condolences and commiserations to the victims of this incident.

“We are here with the Director General of NEMA, with the Minister of Agriculture, with the Minister of Transportation and, of course, the Chief Whip of the Senate, a son of the soil from Gwoza, who was here since yesterday (Sunday), and the Acting Governor. They have been working round the clock to provide succor and support to the victims,” VP Shettima stated.

President Bola Tinubu, in a statement on Sunday by the Presidency, said his administration would redouble its efforts “to ensure that those who trouble the nation, dispatching precious lives, and disrupting law and order are completely removed.”

While in Maiduguri, the Vice President also attended the funeral prayer for the late mother of former Borno Governor, Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, Hajiya Aisa, at the family residence of Late Galadima Modu Sheriff along Damboa Road.

Also, the Southern Senators Forum, on Monday,  condemned the tragic suicide bombing attacks that took place in Tashan Mararaba, Gwoza town, Borno State.

In a statement on Monday and by its Chairman, Senator Tokunbo Abiru, and Secretary, Senator Barinada Mpigi,  the forum expressed profound shock and sorrow over the barbaric incident, extending their thoughts and prayers to the victims, their families, and the entire community affected by the  of violence.

The lawmakers said, “These heinous acts of terrorism are a stark reminder of the persistent security challenges facing our nation.

“The despicable act once again highlights the urgent need for a collective, collaborative, and robust response to terrorism in our country.

“We call upon the Federal Government and all security agencies to intensify their efforts in combating terrorism and ensuring the safety and security of all Nigerians. Those responsible for this atrocity must be swiftly brought to justice.”

The forum, however, commended President Tinubu for his prompt condemnation of the attacks and his administration’s resolve to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Similarly, opposition political parties, under the aegis of the Coalition of United Political Parties,  condemned the Borno bombings.

The CUPP, in a statement by its National Spokesperson, Mark Adebayo, described the attacks as “evil works of formidable enemies who take advantage of government’s lack of proactive actions to wreak havoc on innocent Nigerians.”

The opposition parties said they received the new of “with a deep sense of grief.”

CUPP claimed that “over the years, it has become clear that the war against terror has been compromised by all those involved in dealing with the menace, with the government having no answers to the challenges posed by the terrorists that have been ravaging many parts of the country.

“The corruption enterprise surrounding the war efforts and absence of creative ideas on the part of government and the consistent failure of intelligence has contributed significantly to strengthening of the various terrorist groups terrorising the country for about two decades now.”

Previous Article

Cholera: Nasarawa records 29 suspected cases

Next Article

Customs seize N18bn firearms, drugs from Turkey, recover 844 rifles

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.