Bandits demand N300m to free abducted Kaduna judge, kill son

Share:

Suspected bandits, who kidnapped a female judge and her four children in Kaduna State, have demanded for N300m, after killing her eldest son.

The judge and her sons were reportedly abducted at their residence in the Mahuta area of Kaduna on 23 June.

The kidnappers, numbering up to 15, stormed the residence of the judge at night when her husband, Dr. Musa Gimba Dutse, a medical doctor, was away on duty.

However, a human rights lawyer, and Chief Executive Officer of the House of Justice, Gloria Ballason, on Wednesday, confirmed in a statement that the kidnappers have threatened to kill her remaining sons if the ransom was not paid in time.

Ballason said the abductors killed the 14-year-old son of the judge in captivity when the family couldn’t pay the demanded ransom.

According to her, the boy, identified as Victor Gimba, the first son of the judge, was shot dead on July 2.

“The abductors, reported to have been about 15, took their captives hostage and demanded a huge sum as ransom.

“On Tuesday, July 2, 2024, the terrorists shot dead Victor Gimba, the first child of the judge, when the ransom demanded could not be obtained,” she said.

She also called for the protection of the judge and her family, urging the government, the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), and security agencies to take urgent action and ensure the judge and her children are rescued.

Similarly, the state chapter of the Nigeria Medical Association has issued a statement condemning the incident, while urging the security agencies to rise to the occasion.

NMA’s Public Relations Officer, Dr Shuaibu Joga, expressed shock that the first son was killed to force payment of the said sum.

He said the NMA would be calling for an emergency SEC meeting on Thursday and a press conference to further call on the authorities to expedite action on securing their immediate release and also for the release of their other doctors kidnapped 6 months ago.

“Following the incident, we visited the husband and interacted with him and he informed us that the kidnappers had made a demand of N300 million to secure their release.

“While the security agencies had been informed and negotiations with the kidnappers were ongoing, we received the shocking news today that the first son was killed to force payment of the said sum.

“In response, we are calling for an emergency SEC meeting today and a press conference to further call on the authorities to expedite action on securing their immediate release and also the release of our other doctor kidnapped 6 months ago.

“We call for calm from members and request all to stay safe while we engage the necessary security organs to end this needless wanton evil,” he said.

As of the time of filing this report, there was no official statement from the state government or the state police command.

The Kaduna Police Command’s Police Public Relations, Mansir Hassan, could not pick his calls, nor respond to text message sent to him.

Previous Article

Jumia integrates Sprinklr’s AI-powered platform to boost customer experience

Next Article

Ondo guber: NNPP seeks INEC action against persons impersonating its candidates

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.